Friday, March 14, 2008

best. birthday. present. ever.

Yes...yes...today is the day. Birthdays are, in general, less fun when your extended family isn't there to throw you a party with the dinner of my choice, cake of my choice, homemade ice cream, and a close knit family celebration. I really do miss that. So instead of focusing on what I am missing out on, I need to remember that this is a different stage of my life, and that means I get to do things differently.

So what did I do today on this, oh magical of days? Not a ton. really. Sharon and Benjy treated Judah and I to Starbucks on our way to Child's Play, an indoor play place with dress up costumes and toys up the wazoo. It was a good outing. And Judah is sufficiently pooped (which is always good). On our way home from that, I stopped off at Temecula Valley Yarn Company And bought myself a little B-day prezzie. Well, one skein for me to make this and some blue and orange yarn to make this for my brother (yes...in BSU colors). I got 15% off b/c it's mah birfday! BONUS!!!

Then I came home, hopped on the interwebs to check my e-mail and had a lovely little surprise in my inbox, an e-mail from Laurie, author of one of my favorite knitting blogs, http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/ , which is where I got the basis for my beret pattern I shared a few posts back. And I'M ON HER BLOG!!! I was so happy and excited, and a little freaked out to see me (and apparently my bra strap) in pictures on her blog!!! Anyway, it just is the best Birthday present ever, to be published (in a very loose sense of the word) on such a wonderful and popular blog!! Oh, and yes, I am a humongous NERD!

So anyway...back to our regularly scheduled programming----Brent and I are going out for a fabulous dinner tonight (we don't know where yet, but since we're breaking our diet, it WILL BE delicious) and possibly a movie. I know...boring boring boring. But that's what you do for kicks when you have to line up a babysitter and all (thanks Sharon).

So what have I learned in 28 years of living on God's green earth? Hmmmmm.... I'll make a list, b/c lists are fun. (Yes they are. Lists are SOOOOO fun)

1. I DO have the strength and willpower to lose weight (17.5 pounds so far) YAY!

2. I love to love my family. Brent and Judah are the best. period. It is hard to be so far away from the rest of our family, but I'm learning how to deal with it.

3. I really love my dogs (not a big surprise to most of you). Even through all the hair and slobber and holes in my yard...I can't get enough of them.

4. I never thought I would love living in California, but I really do. Wearing flip flops year 'round can't ever be bad.

5. I love knitting. Even if I don't fit the stereotype for being a knitter. I'm 28, and I'm not going to knit a button down sweater vest....but I love knitting.

Ok...I think I'm done.

6 comments:

Sage said...

1. Happy Birthday Lurch!!!!!!!
2. You are so cool! You got publicity on a blog with more than five readers! You are not a nerd. Anyone would be excited about that!
3. I'm with you on the birthday away from family thing. It stinks.

Rossie said...

Happy Birthday! ***and many more***!!!

Amy said...

Happy "Belated" Birthday!
I saw you on Laurie's blog.
I read her everyday; she makes me laugh.
I don't knit, but she has definitely made me curious.:)
Congratulations on your weight loss! That is awesome.
I have lost 111 pounds over the last several years, but I am bouncing around with 10-15 pounds(depending on the time of month).:(
I'm having trouble getting those punds back off, but I'm still trying.
Anyway, nice blog you have here.:)
Take care,
Amy:)

Anonymous said...

I love your blogg :) You are just so funny :)

alicia marie said...

Amy~~ welcome, and thanks for the comment! COngrats on your weight loss!! That is amazing! I'm shooting for about 100 pounds for my first goal.

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to comment any time!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I finally was able to access the website where your hat was featured. How cool - I can see why you were excited. You are a knitin' fool! Who taught you to knit anyway? I know it wasn't me. I am responsible for teaching you to crochet, not that you remember how now. What a fun b-day gift!