Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Judah's Dreaming....

No, really, he is dreaming. At night. And remembering them. I'm not sure at which age that normally starts, but I don't remember remembering my dreams that early.

This morning he turned to me and said, "I had a dream last night."

"oh yeah? What was the dream about?"

"We had licorice. We weren't eating it, we just took it out of the package."

"Do you remember where we were in the dream with the licorice?"

"Yeah! We were at home!"

So, this is really weird. Because we never have licorice. Not really ever. And not ever at our house. But I was planning on getting some today, which is weird.

When I was growing up, our family would always go out to the (then) public pool at Gowen Field to go swimming. We would pack our own lunches in order to pinch every penny. But mom would always "splurge" on one thing. We always brought licorice. You know, that big bag of licorice with red and black together? Heather would eat all the black, and the rest of us would fight over the red. My favorite was the chunk that had the 5 short pieces stuck together. We would lay out on our towels, hands wet with the over-chlorinated water, and feast on that licorice. It is burned in my brain. I even remember the one time we brought a bag of chocolate licorice. Blasphemy, I know, but I love chocolate licorice.

Today, we're going over to a friends house to swim. Last night I was thinking that on our way over, we should stop at the grocery store and pick up some licorice and keep the tradition going. But I'm pretty sure I never vocalized that thought. And then to have Judah dream about licorice kind of freaks me out!

Anyway, there's my freaky thought for the day.

Now, for some long awaited pictures!


Playing with Grandma Debbie at the park


HI-YA!


Lilah's trying to stay cool


Feeding the Goose at the Dairy


Saying goodbye to Grandma at the airport






Cooling off in our "pool".


Cheese ball


Playing soccer with Dad on Father's Day



My most recent knitting adventure....dyeing my own yarn!

Here is it washing up in the sink, pre-dye.


I used kool-aid! Here it is bubbling on the stove.


Hanging out to dry


The finished product! A little neon, but it was fun!


and knitted up into my very first sock!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the socks!

Anonymous said...

That is pretty awesome lish, I have the exact same memories about the Gowen Field pool. I even remember the sad day when we pulled up and found out it was only for military families :-(

Anonymous said...

Is that Brent in the pic? I can barely recognize him! Dying your own yarn is pretty freakin' cool! You should take a pic of yourself so we can see your new hot bod too! Stay cool!

Unknown said...

Great pictures! I love the yarn project, and the sock looks awesome! You are very talented!

Sage said...

that is some freaky yarn- it looks like those playdough cookies from your friend Andrea's blog.

great pictures!

p.s. the dream thing is freaky

Sage said...

i meant to say-
the dream thing is also freaky

:)

Anonymous said...

It's fun to know Nick reads your blog, Lish. Love this whole entry -Judah and Gma Debbie photos - so cute and I can't wait...The freaky dream. Gowen Field - I'm glad we got to use that pool for as long as we did. It made good memories. I guess the secret got out to too many people so they closed it to the public...The yarn dying thing-very cool. What happens when you wash the socks? You are really expanding your talents, girl. See you tomorrow!!!

Kelly said...

Does the koolaid wash out? I love your sock. :)
Great story about Judah & your memories of licorice. Judah is seriously one of the cutest kids I've ever seen.
Brent's looking really good! I agree with Megan, we need a new picture of you too!

Anonymous said...

We need a new blogg! You are neglecting us!! :)

Nathan and Billie said...

Wow; I'm really impressed with your yarn talents. That's pretty flippin' cool!!!