Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's beginning to smell alot like Christmas....

Now, I know that's not how the song goes, I really do. But this is one thing I've learned this year. I can decorate all I want, and believe me, I have this year. I went all out (for me....) I decided that if we weren't going to Idaho for Christmas, it was going to BE CHRISTMAS here! So we got our tree in record time, set up all the Christmas decorations I own, and decked the halls. It's been COLD here too! Even had to scrape the car the other morning. But it still didn't feel the same. not at all. Until I baked.

Ah yes, that intoxicating smell of Christmas goodies seeping out of the oven. It is good. and then it hit me. I smell Christmas. I can look at a fake tree all day, and admire how perfect it is, with it's prelit branches, and evenly spaced ornaments. But the smell of a real pine tree filling my living room, THAT is Christmas. The almond spritz cookies, topped with holiday sprinkles, those smell like Christmas. The peanut butter bon-bons, the smell of the chocolate melting on the stove, it fills me with cheer like nothing can. snickerdoodles, gingersnaps, muddy buddies, fudge.....


ok, I had better stop before I gain 15 pounds just from WRITING this!!


anyway, just wanted to share my super secret tip about Christmas.

Stop and smell the season.



2 comments:

Katie Eagy said...

That ornament picture is funny since I can see all three of you in the reflection! Very silly. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Alicia!

Anonymous said...

You're making ME hungry too. I have to work today and tomorrow, but then I'm free. Already made spritz and choc. chippers (for NP). Tonight I'm making pies. Our tree smells a bit stronger this year than most Noble firs usually do - I love it too, Lish. Miss you guys.