Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It's the first day of the rest of your life, Judah.

No it's not mom!!

He has no idea that school will dominate his energy, time, thoughts, emotions, ....life....from now until he's a man. wow. This is scary. How did I get out of that Kindergarten classroom without crying today? I guess I knew I had to, I didn't want him to think I was sad b/c I'm not sad. I'm soooo happy. but in a sad sort of way. Every mom knows this feeling. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Brent was talking to him mom about his first day of Kindergarten, and she told him that she cried. He asked if I was going to cry and I told him I might. He was a little confused as to why I might cry or why his mom did. REALLY??? ugh. men. Love that man, but for reals....seriously? I told him that I guess it's different for moms than it is for dads, at least stay at home moms. You spend pretty much 24 hours a day (minus sleep time) for FIVE years with a person, and then one day, you just leave them...in a room with 24 other kids and only ONE adult? Are we all clinically insane? yes. yes we are.

I didn't just leave Judah behind. I left my heart. I guess that's what makes you want to cry. The only thing that held the tears in until I reached the car was knowing that I am still doing what is best for Judah. He needs this, he will grow and blossom so much in school. I am confident of this. The smile on his face as he waved goodbye was priceless. I'm glad that, for once, I got a milestone on video.

7 comments:

Brady said...

I am crying reading this! It is so hard leaving them there those few days! Did you guys not go into the class for the fist day to get them situated? Actually at T;s school the first day of kinder is1/2 day and the parents stay the whole time....I think it made it harder for me though. The whole entire time I was trying not to cry!!

Acorn to Oak said...

Hugs to you! I know exactly how you feel. Lauren just graduated from HS (which is hard too...in a different way) but I remember that first day of school so much. In fact, I cried the first day of school for years after that. Can't explain why, but I did. It's fun to watch them grow but sad to lose the 'baby'....I guess. Just think of all the artwork he's going to bring home! :-) lol Being a mom is the best job on earth!!! Have a terriffic school year! Wow!...More knitting and spinning time!!! :-)

Kelly said...

I totally understand! Yesterday was a hard day for me too. And I've been doing it for 3 years now!
I hope the second day ends better than the first!

Grandma Marsha said...

The video was so sweet. He looked like he was trying to figure out what the big deal was. The little girl with the pony tail and pink pack looks like Lyddie. Wish it were true. Love you!

Nathan and Billie said...

This makes me sad just thinking about Titus going to school...I'll need you when that day comes!!!

Grandma Marsha said...

Just read this again and cried again. If Brent doesn't get you crying on Judah's first day, he certainly won't get grandma crying too.

youivo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.